[lcdproc] crystal fontz lcd on parallel

  • From: blt AT comports.com (Benjamin Tse)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] crystal fontz lcd on parallel
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 10:27:19 +1100

Hi Sean,

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 12:57:00PM -0500, EXT sean a. newton wrote:
> I've been talking with Brent Crosby over at Crystal Fontz, and he's been
> kind enough to let me know that the lcd they sall can be wired into the
> parallel port and still retain it's high level features, I don't think
> this is directly supported right now (am i correct?), but is this a
> possibility in the future. He sent me the pin outs for how to wire the
> thing up. I'd be happy to forward what the email from him to the list
> and/or the person wishing to see it.

As far as I can tell, the current CFontz driver uses the serial
port. I'd be interested in how they are using the parallel port.

To answer your other post, most off the shelf LCDs from electronics
stores use the HD44780 controller. These can be connected to the
parallel port if you can handle a soldering iron. The only difference
is cost versus run-time performance - the parallel port drivers consume
more CPU time.

You can get these from most electronics surplus stores ... I can't
recommend any companies as I haven't ordered any from the states.

Cheers,
Ben