[lcdproc] perl programming a client?

  • From: Scott Scriven <toykeeper AT cheerful.com> (Scott Scriven)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] perl programming a client?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 19:33:03 -0700

* Flavio Curti
<flaviocu AT swix.ch>
wrote:
> the library uses now the protocol 0.4pre9 version... (there is
> no such thing as a client server in 0.3?!?) but the current
> cvs version intoduces some changes in the protocol and one new
> function... i think the changes could be done really fa st...
> maybe i will do it this weekend, and publish another version
> for the cvs v ersion if anyone needs this...
>
> i would like to know if any other changes to the protocol arp
> planned???

Yes, the protocol will be changing. Most current commands use
this style:

command screen widget val1 val2 val3

But we're changing it to be more like a command-line:

command screen widget -opt val -opt val -opt val

This way, options can come in any order, or be omitted; and
it'll be easier to add new options without breaking old clients.

As for perl, Yes. Either use the already-mentioned perl-LCDd
library, or you can just use the builtin perl sockets to talk
directly to LCDd. There are examples in the source tree, in
"clients/examples/".

_ _ _ _ ___ ___ ---"I don't get even - I just get odder."---
( \/ ( \/ (__ (__ ) | Scott Scriven (Toy Keeper / XYZZ) |
mailto:toykeeper AT cheerful.com

/ \ / / //_ //_ | irc:serdevian.dyn.omnipotent.net |
(_/\_(_/ (___(___) | http://www.vis.colostate.edu/~scriven/ |