[lcdproc] lcdproc server incredibly slow

  • From: blt AT ComPorts.com (Benjamin Tse)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] lcdproc server incredibly slow
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 09:38:12 +1100

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 09:54:20PM -0700, EXT Scott Scriven wrote:
> * Benjamin Tse
> <tse AT morphine.apac.nokia.com>
> wrote:
> > It can cope with 8 fps at the expense of CPU speed. A 16x2
> > display consumes ~5% of CPU when the whole display needs to be
> > updated. This only happens in the CPU screen of lcdproc. The
> > other screens use a modest 1-2% of CPU.
>
> It uses 1-5% of the CPU? Wow.. On my system (CFontz serial
> LCD), the LCDd server uses a constant "0.0%" of the CPU
> (according to "top"), and the lcdproc client uses 0.1% - 1.0%,
> depending on which stat it's gathering. (the XLoad screen
> seems to take the most)

1-5% is due to the loops the CPU needs to do to maintain the
timing. At least it's an improvement on the 50% someone was getting 6
months ago :-).

The (other) difference in the HD44780 drivers is the cost. My setup
cost ~$15 (AUD) plus a couple of hours over a soldering iron and
hacksaw :-). I believe that MO displays can be sourced on this side of
the planet for 5-6 times this price. (Though I reckon a PIC type setup
could be done in < $50.)

I guess you get what you pay for ...

Cheers,
Ben

BTW, top in cumulative mode would give an indicative average result.