[lcdproc] 0.4pre9 lcdproc client problem?

  • From: rrognlie AT gamerz.net (Richard Rognlie)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] 0.4pre9 lcdproc client problem?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 13:02:12 -0500

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 09:38:30AM -0800, William Ferrell wrote:
> --- Richard Rognlie
> <rrognlie AT gamerz.net>
> wrote:
> > Well, I finally broke down and started playing with the 0.4 tree, and
> > immediately had a problem...
> >
> > I'm running 'LCDd -d HD44780' And that seems to be ok.
>
> It produces output on the display, yes?

Yes. The display currently says "
+--------------------+
|** LCDproc Server *O|
|Clients: 0 |
|Screens: 0 |
| |
+--------------------+

If I start up lcdproc, it changes to...
+--------------------+
|** LCDproc Server **|
|Clients: 1 |
|Screens: 5 |
| |
+--------------------+

then...
+--------------------+
|** CPU LOAD *******O|
|Usr 50.0% Nice 0.0%|
|Sys 0.0% Idle 0.0%|
|0% 100%|
+--------------------+

then...
+--------------------+
|** CPU 50.0%: www **|
|Usr 50.0% Nice 0.0%|
|Sys 0.0% Idle 0.0%|
|0% ****** 100%|
+--------------------+

Then "Broken Pipe" on the lcdproc process... and the display returns to...
+--------------------+
|** LCDproc Server *O|
|Clients: 0 |
|Screens: 0 |
| |
+--------------------+

GDB output for where the lcdproc dies is...

Program received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.
0x400f7574 in __libc_write ()
(gdb) where
#0 0x400f7574 in __libc_write ()
#1 0x8055bc0 in cpu.10 ()
#2 0x804caf3 in cpu_screen (rep=0, display=1) at cpu.c:185
#3 0x8049d60 in update_screen (m=0xbfffe4d8, display=1) at mode.c:149
#4 0x8049a29 in main_loop (sequence=0xbfffe4d8) at main.c:342
#5 0x8049358 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffd24) at main.c:176
#6 0x4006ccb3 in __libc_start_main (main=0x8048e90 <main>, argc=1,
argv=0xbffffd24, init=0x8048aa4 <_init>, fini=0x8051a4c <_fini>,
rtld_fini=0x4000a350 <_dl_fini>, stack_end=0xbffffd1c)
at ../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:78

cpu.c:185 is

if(display) sock_send_string(sock, buffer);

So, something is closing the connection to the LCDd (I think).

Richard

> > but if I run the lcdproc client, it mysteriously dies...
>
> Er, weird. No coredump and no errors? Definite oddness.
>
> > I'm running a Redhat 6.0 based Linux system. Anyone else seeing this
> > behaviour?
>
> The most recent LCDproc (all of v0.4 and much of v0.3) was written on a
> Debian system (2.0, then 2.1, and now 2.2-unstable :), but LCDproc
> shouldn't be using much of anything along the lines of libraries and such.
> Should just be standard C and a couple others.
>
> Odd. I'm afraid I'm not very good at debugging yet (debugging as in using
> the GNU debugger and tracing stacks and other such things :), but I'll try
> to help out as much as I can. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
>
> =====
> Friends help you move, but real friends help you move bodies.

/ \__ | Richard Rognlie / Sendmail Consultant / Sendmail, Inc.
\__/ \ | URL: http://www.gamerz.net/rrognlie/
/ \__/ | Give a man a fish, and he'll be hungry tomorrow. Teach a
\__/ | man to fish, and he'll be at the river all day drinking beer.