[lcdproc] display update speed

  • From: erd AT iname.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] display update speed
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:30:59 -0700 (PDT)

--- "McMeikan, Andrew"
<andrew.mcmeikan AT mitswa.com.au>
wrote:
> Hi All,

> Has anyone ever looked at optimising it for display speed? ie. only update
> those bits on screen that have changed?

I have done various customizations on the output code to prevent overflowing
various serial module I have been working with (like the Futaba native RS-232
displays). The problem with optimization is that if you only change exactly
what needs to be changed, you may send more characters while trying to
position
the cursor to the changed data.

On those devices where overflows were a problem, I could optimize the byte
stream on everything but the rolling load meter. There was so much stuff
flowing there that even optimized, the display couldn't keep up.

Let me know and I'll dig up my code.

-ethan

=====
Infinet has been sold. The domain is going away in February.
Please send all replies to

erd AT iname.com