[lcdproc] LCDd suggestions

  • From: runge AT rostock.zgdv.de (Thomas Runge)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] LCDd suggestions
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:14:09 +0200

Just to complete the confusion. Some more suggestions:

- tell lcdproc the position and size of the widget at _creation_time_,
not when updating.
-> I only have to update the value, not the positon, very handy IMO.
- make LCDd a real daemon, so that we can start it at boot time and
it will stay forever.
- add some kind of admin mode. That means a special client can change
global attribs like background light, contrast, brightness, the
priority of certain clients etc. That even means it should be
possible to request the actual state as well.
-> imagine a nice windowmaker dock app for that ;)

I don't think, we need a threaded LCDd. Checking 8 times a second is
okay for most things. And it keeps the code more portable. You know,
some OS's still have problems with threads and I don't like a program
forking just to handle some input.
XML based protocol?!? NO, PLEASE! :-) Don't make client's programmers
live more painful! ;-)
CORBA? Sounds good. I like CORBA very much. But remember, that it
blows your code by about 1 MB. And every client blows.
Right now I couldn't get orbacus working using shared libs. Don't know
why, but it only works with static linking (remember, I'm running
FreeBSD, not Linux). But even if it works, I think, we have a small
toy, let's keep the code and the dependencies small.

Argh, forgot the piece of paper with more suggestions at home. But
I'm sure, this will keep you working for some weeks >:->

Well, if you need a helping hand, just split the project into small
pieces and announce it on your webpage. I'll help you as well, but
the LCD is just a toy for me and there are more important projects
in my todo list...

--
Tom