[lcdproc] LCDd suggestions

  • From: fran0382 AT tc.umn.edu (Luke Francl)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] LCDd suggestions
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 18:44:15 -0500 (CDT)

Long time lurker, first time poster...

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Scott Scriven wrote:

> > I found some inconveniences in the protocol, so I want to suggest
> > some improvements.
>
> > - every command sent should get a reply.
>
> Okay. This could be good. The original intent was "no news is
> good news", so the server would only notify the client of
> errors and events. The only thing I see as being a potential
> problem with synchronous communication is that the server will
> need a new structure. Currently, it sleeps most of the time
> and checks for messages 8 times per second. This won't work if
> clients want replies immediately.
>
> We could always go to a threaded model, where the output thread
> sleeps most of the time but the client-serving thread is always
> handling input...
>
> Another option is to just switch over to an already-established
> communication framework, such as CORBA; or even an XML-based
> protocol. Just a thought...
>
> Regardless, though, I agree it needs better error messages. :)

This is interesting, because right now at school I am learning how to
implement client-server communications. We've been talking about
eliminating busy waiting and all that neat kind of stuff -- just what
needs to be done here. Now, I obviously don't claim to be any expert here,
but I am interested in helping out here. Basically, I just want a cool LCD
display for my MP3 player, and I'd like to get a start in free software
projects to further my programming knowledge.

I guess I'm just saying I'll read that book a little closer and then check
out the source and see if I can find any improvements.

That's it for now,

Luke