[lcdproc] What is the status... (was RE: [lcdproc] LCDd suggestions)

  • From: willfe AT yahoo.com (William Ferrell)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] What is the status... (was RE: [lcdproc] LCDd suggestions)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:39:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- David Glaude
<dglaude AT netbrain.be>
wrote:

> > After playing around with lcdproc and porting it to FreeBSD I tried
> > to write my first client.
> > I found some inconveniences in the protocol, so I want to suggest
> > some improvements.
>
> > - every command sent should get a reply.
> I AGREE (this should be included in the next version of the protocol).

I agree too :)

> > - it's not nice of the server to send a 0 to mark the end of
> transmisson.
> There where discussion concearning a binary version of the protocol...
> But if it stay text, it should use standard line delimiter rather than
> string delimiter.
>
> > So, whats the status of development for lcdproc?
> YES, WHAT IS THE STATUS.

Heh like I said in my previous message, Real Life(tm) is bothering us a
bit. I should also remind everybody that LCDproc was a teach-myself-C(tm)
project that I did for myself. Scott joined in and started making LCDproc
actually cool and useful.

I don't have *nearly* the expertise needed to do client/server or multiple
driver stuff yet. As such, 0.4-pre is completely Scott's work. I believe
that aside from a few basic functions (like the original functions I wrote
to deal with the LCD itself) he's completely rebuilt LCDproc from scratch.
I've thrown in ideas here and there, and helped with conceptual things
(like how screens should be laid out, drawing custom icons for stuff,
etc.), but the logic and code are his and he gets full credit/blame :)

I *am* making an effort to get up-to-speed in the C programming arena so I
can help out with development -- I've been distracted by PHP3 :)

Hopefully Scott will chime in sometime with his idea of LCDproc's status.
As far as I know, it's *not* dead, and I don't think we intend to kill it
anytime soon :)

=====
Friends help you move, but real friends help you move bodies.