[lcdproc] What is the status... (was RE: [lcdproc] LCDd suggestions)

  • From: dglaude AT netbrain.be (David Glaude)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] What is the status... (was RE: [lcdproc] LCDd suggestions)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 17:13:42 +0200

> After playing around with lcdproc and porting it to FreeBSD I tried
> to write my first client.
> I found some inconveniences in the protocol, so I want to suggest
> some improvements.

> - every command sent should get a reply.
I AGREE (this should be included in the next version of the protocol).

> - it's not nice of the server to send a 0 to mark the end of transmisson.
There where discussion concearning a binary version of the protocol...
But if it stay text, it should use standard line delimiter rather than
string delimiter.

> So, whats the status of development for lcdproc?
YES, WHAT IS THE STATUS.

At the time I was giving some patch, those patch where included one at a
time.
Then we came to a discussion on a 'wish list' and what 'to do' for the 'next
release'.
A lot of idea where put on the table...
Maybe developper are waiting for us to offer the right protocol and missing
feature.
IRMP3 is one of those project on the waiting side (maybe).
And a lot of developper them are waisting time trying to figure out what is
really implemented.

Last time I was checking the list I saw someone talking about making a C++
version!!!

I think LCDproc need a major re-design and re-thinking of the protocol
and maybe inner-working. This can be done but only by a small group 1 (or 2)
of people.
Contributor cannot just change the heard of the program.
I was adding feature, driver, optimisation, ...
But that's eassy to do as an outsider.

So wake-up before we get a split or get stuck!

David GLAUDE

PS: We already have two version 0.3.5 and 0.4.pre...