[lcdproc] LCD on centronics printerport

  • From: nctnico AT cistron.nl (Nico Coesel)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] LCD on centronics printerport
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 14:36:19 +0200

Hello to you all.

Yesterday I've come accross the LCDproc software for the first time. Very
nice, but there is one drawback: Matrix's displays are awfull expensive.
I've used 'standaard' LCD displays for several commercial/hobby projects.
These displays are fairly cheap and can be controlled both by 4 or 8 bit
busses. I'm quite sure these display's can be connected to the printerport
in the 4-bit mode in a way that the display can be controlled by simply
printing the codes to the standard lpd or any other standard
printerspooler. All that is needed is a standard 74HC-device to do some
polarity adjustments and address decoding. The printerport is also
powerfull enough to power a non-backlit display.

I'm interested to hear from people who have already experimented with
connecting LCD display's to a printerport and to hear from people who would
like to adapt LCDproc. I have the complete specs on how to control LCD
displays which I can scan & mail.

Nico Coesel