[lcdproc] Why does my lcd go dim ?

  • From: donnie AT emji.net (Donnie Springfield)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Why does my lcd go dim ?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:32:47 -0400

Greetings...

Once upon a time, Rob Hansen of Matrix Orbital told me:

"Linux makes use of an instruction that halts the PC's
processor when its not doing anything. Then when it starts back
up, it takes a big surge of current. Many PC's experience a pretty
severe drop out of voltage since the switching supplies take time to
recover from this. Since a 5 volt unit is hooked to the same
supply, and because the backlight brightness is highly affected by
small differences in voltage, the display is seen to flicker under
Linux. The solution is to use the PC's 12 volt supply instead."

It is recommended that you use the wide voltage version with Linux.

There you have it, from the horse's mouth.

--Donnie Springfield
EMJ Embedded Systems
(919) 363-4441 x 108