[lcdproc] Non-matrix Orbital display

  • From: scriven AT CS.colostate.edu (Scott Scriven)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Non-matrix Orbital display
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 22:13:26 -0600

Angus Carr wrote:
> They also carry an lcd kit, for about $30 Cdn. For comparison, The Matrix
> Orbital 2x20 display is $100 Cdn. I thought to myself that I was
> interested. It isn't backlit, and uses a different protocal, but what the
> heck, eh?
> I wanted an opinion from the group as to whether or not the documentation
> is sufficient for writing a driver for lcdproc.

I think the documentation is okay for writing an lcdproc driver, but I've
heard otherwise from people who have done it. :)

You'll want to look in server/drivers/drv_base.h, which has info on how to
do it. Essentially, just copy an existing driver, change the
function/variable names, and rewrite the functions to work with the new
device.

In any case, _feel_free_ to ask me for help if you have any questions. :)

As for the particular LCD you mentioned, there is a note on the page that
warns of potential timing problems. This lit up a warning light somewhere
in my head.. I hope timing doesn't cause any problems.

( \/ ( \/ (__ (__ ) | ~ Scott Scriven (Toy Keeper / XYZZ) |
mailto:toykeeper AT cheerful.com

mailto:scriven AT CS.ColoState.edu

(_/\_(_/ (___(___) | http://www.vis.colostate.edu/~scriven/ |