[lcdproc] Backlight

  • From: tjs+ AT andrew.cmu.edu (Tim Showalter)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Backlight
  • Date: 27 Jun 1998 18:16:10 -0400

> Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 07:30:06 +0000
> From: hardwire
> <hardwire AT info2000.net>

> Even though the backlite is rated for a long time.. some people might
> want to use EL-Backlited lcds.. And some just do not want there to be a
> green glow when they sleep...
>
> I have a solution I think.. if somebody(Scott,Will,THE WORLD!) is smart
> enough to code it (I know little C under linux) to peek at
> "stdout/stdin" and "stderr" then give that a timeout.. if no std* action
> happens for 5 minutes turn off the backlite....

Presumably what you're trying to do is to discern whether or not the
user is idle. On my 2.0.34 machine, w and who seem to have the right
information, so presumably code can be stolen there.

You can't really peek at stdin/out/err in the way you describe, but you
can stat the terminals and figure out idleness. w just seems to be
smarter than a stat of /dev/tty? on my machine since those terminals
don't get updated once X starts.

Tim

--
Tim Showalter