[lcdproc] Backlight

  • From: rhansen AT matrix-orbital.com (Rob Hansen)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Backlight
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 10:57:48 -0600

I was going to agree with Ben on this one, but Shane makes an interesting
point. There are displays in the pipe that may well have EL backlights
instead of LED backlights (or maybe not 'cause I hate EL). Anyway, EL
backlights have a "half life" of generally about 1000 hours, and so need to
be on just when you are looking at the thing (like Indiglo). We were going
to provide them for applications which are very power sensitive, but a
workstation is definitely not this. I'm going to make a blanket statement
and say that EL backlighting is probably a real bad idea for use with
LCDproc and an LCDproc user should really select a display with an LED or
CCFL backlight.

Of course, this does nothing to help solve the problem because you still
gotta sleep...

Rob Hansen