[lcdproc] LCD in floppy panel?

  • From: choadster AT earthlink.net (William W. Ferrell)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] LCD in floppy panel?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:01:16 GMT

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:31:40 +0200, the chunks you blew at me arranged
themselves thusly:

>Joachim Schaaf wrote:
>>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I like the lcdproc stuff and thought of placing the display in the =
front
>> of my computer. Anyone tried to put in the floppy front panel (5 1/4 =
")
>> ? Or other solutions?
>
>I've successfully mounted the LCD2041 like this:
>
>+-----------+
>|5.25" plate|
>+-+-------+-+
> | LCD |
>+-+-------+-+
>|5.25" plate|
>+-----------+
>
>Although this leaves two gaps of ~ 2 cm on each side (which can be
>fixed), it's probably the easiest way around.
>
>No drilling was involved - Simply glued four small bolts, two on each
>plate, and screwed the LCD on.
>
>Only problem was cable length, but this is being worked on.

I did almost exactly the same thing, except I just found four longer =
machine
screws of the same width, drilled four holes total (two in each =
faceplate) and
shoved the screws through the holes and mounted the display on behind =
that.
Works about the same, except I can probably break mine easier if I'm not
careful taking it out of the bay.

And to confirm another poster's comments, yes, Matrix Orbital is =
producing 5
1/4" bay inserts. I believe they're damned near ready (we'll know for =
sure in
about a week, at the most :). And from what I hear, they look quite cool =
:)
(Takes up 2 bays, BTW, instead of the 3 bays us hackers are eating up for
these things :)

Y'know when I bought my full tower I _knew_ I'd be putting a lot of stuff=
in
the bays but I _didn't_ expect to use up three of 'em for this! Hehehe...
guess we know where my priorities are -- coolness over efficient space =
usage
:)
--
Please reply to
choadster AT earthlink.net.

William W. Ferrell is not an employee of Hewlett-Packard.
The opinions expressed in this message are not those of
Hewlett-Packard, its employees, stockholders, or coffee-makers.
I speak only for myself.